.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

When my brother got arrested...

... the woman who was my mother's best friend couldn't wait to call and tell me about what happened. She is one of those people who loves to be the first to tell gossip, whether it's good news, bad news or just boring news.

I didn't want to hear about my brother, it was far too painful for me. But, she loved to call me and make sure to be the first person to tell me the latest bad news herself...before anyone else had a chance to tell me. I have never understood people like that. They actually seem to get a thrill out of spreading bad news and they even seem to get a little annoyed when no one listens to them.

After my mother's friend told me the bad news...I didn't want to tell my father. I HATE spreading bad news. But, if I didn't tell him, he would have found out some other way so I had to call him and tell him the bad news. I knew that it would be painful for him to hear and that in itself hurt me when I had to call him to break the news.

For some reason, Emily's blog has provoked a bunch of those types of people to send comments regarding the veracity of the stories that she is telling. I have my own feelings about that and if you've read much at all over the past week, you can pretty much figure out what I think about it all. But, I have no burning desire to stand up, waving my arms in the air, saying, "It's a fake! It's a fake! And...I AM THE ONE WHO SAID SO!"

As Anne pointed out in her comment, Emily didn't charge anything, no one HAS to read her blog, or believe it...nor do you win a prize for being the first person to point out any flaws in her story.

Go to any baseball game and watch people who boo the batter for striking out. At least the batter walked "up to the plate"...the person in the stands booing never got that far. They're happy to sit in the stands and harrass the person at bat.

I guess that somehow it makes a person feel a bit "better" than others when they go out of their way to spread bad news or point out another person's flaws. That's especially odd considering that the people who write to proclaim Emily a fake are doing so under the cloak of anonymity. Others have made special names to let us all know that they are not as stupid as we are...they are TooSmartForThat.

A mature person might see a flaw here or there in another person's behavior or words...and then they would simply walk away. They wouldn't stand there, pointing and shouting so the entire world will know that they are TooSmartForThat. I know that I'm too smart for that. I don't have to run around hollering, nor do I have to go out of my way to let people know how SmartIAm.

If I did feel the need to point out every flaw that I noticed...I would make an appointment and ask someone to help me deal with my low self esteem.

OK then, it's a lovely day down here...I'm going to see if I can drag my father and his ex wife out of this house. I can't seem to get an answer to any of the questions that I'm asking them. In order for me to help, I have to know exactly what they want. Neither of them wants to commit to anything right now so until they help me help them...I'm just going to make them enjoy themselves.

See ya later!

Meg

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang Meg, you are starting to scare me, you are sounding like a grown up mature woman. Better watch it we will start thinking you are getting mature.
Buddy

July 20, 2006  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Oh yea? Blow me.

:):):)

July 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not spreading bad news...it was on GOOD MORNING AMERICA, it's not like anyone is trying to ruin Emily's FAKE day. Emily's blog and supposed sign are part of a viral advertising campaign.

July 20, 2006  
Blogger Karin's Korner said...

Meg,
I applaud you. That is all there is to say.

July 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the evidence that she is fake is simple. The exact same billboard went up in NYC and LA. That's viral marketing. Why would somebody do that. The person isn't real.

July 20, 2006  
Blogger Determined said...

Yes! Very interesting points made.

On happier subjects, anyone up for a game?

July 20, 2006  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Karin (and other normal people),

LOLOLOL...I guess there was something else to be said, but damned if I can figure out what it would be.

See ya!

Meg

July 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Meg and I thought I was giving you a compliment, dang!!!
Buddy

July 21, 2006  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Buddy,

I know, honey. I just can't refrain from being sarcastic most of the time. I'm sorry...I'm a mean and nasty lady (as my oldest son used to tell me when he was little and I told him "No." to anything).

Meggers

July 21, 2006  
Blogger Jay said...

I like to know if the book I'm reading claims to be fact or fiction. I still read both, but I want to know. Same with blogs. Not that I'm offended by a bit of artistic license, but I feel duped if I read something believing it's true and find out it's not.

Jay

July 21, 2006  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

OK then. I have no idea whether or not The Emily Blog is true or not. I have a feeling that the people who are calling it "viral marketing" may be right. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Personally, everything that I write is true, unless I tell you otherwise. But, I have no control over what other people say. But, when they use my blog to say it...sooner or later I will call them down for what they are. I began mentionining a "mystery" when I started having my doubts about Emily's blog. I would have waited until I had some sort of proof one way or another before I accused anyone of lying. But, so many people seemd to want to point it out that I had to let them. (At least some of them.)

I think that most people can see things for what they are. But, like me, most people aren't looking for lies, they're simply reading and assuming, like I do, that the person is telling the truth. If anyone was duped by that blog, I apologize, I was as duped as you were. But, I'm going to do what I can to make the best of it...she did bring up some legitimate points and she opened up a few opportunity's for me to make jokes and I grabbed them. Now, I think we've all figured it out so let's see what we can do to take a sad story (true or not) and learn something from it or just be entertained by it.

Meg

July 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home