.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Friday, April 11, 2008

I can tell a man from a woman...

...as easily as most people. I suppose I've been fooled a time or two but generally, if I so much as glance at a person, I know if it's a man or a woman.

I know a woman because she's the one talking and I know a man because he's the one trying to get in the woman's pants. When the man in question is one of my husbands...he's the one who's lying.

But I don't know how my dog tells the difference between men and women. Is a dog smart enough to tell by sight or is it, as I think, by using the sense of smell that tells a dog the sex of the human in front of him?

One way or another, Payton knows the difference and he doesn't like men. I don't know why...I can't think of a man who ever hurt the dog. Of course, that doesn't mean that no man ever did hurt him...it just means that I never saw it. Of course, Payton is a male and he's a male who couldn't speak to me if he even he WERE inclined to do so. I'll never know if any guy ever hurt him. If that's the case...if Payton was hit by a guy...it had to have been more than one time or he wouldn't hold it against ALL men. So, either one guy smacked my dog a few times or more than one guy smacked him once. If I ever caught some asshole hitting my dog...I'd have to get a tad violent myself.

I'm as protective of Payton as he is of me, I just don't bark like a fool when I hear someone walking down the street. I like that he barks like that...the barking is what finally got Payton out of his crate at night. A friend of mine from Tennessee came down to visit me and when he got here, Payton barked so damn much that the guy said, "Any dog who barks like that doesn't need to be locked in a crate at night."

I thought about it and he was right...Payton has never spent another night locked in the crate. He does spend some time in there when he acts like an idiot...but that's rather rare. He learned young that it was relatively easy to stay out of the crate...he just doesn't eat my stuff. The only thing he does to get himself locked up is jump up on people who come over to visit. If I let a person in my house...Payton loves the heck out of them. (This is what annoys me. Payton is a good 100 pounds and he can hurt a person without trying. EVERYBODY who comes in my house says, "Oh, I love dogs...I'm not afraid of him." So, even though I don't like it, my visitors let Payton jump all over them until it gets rough. Then, it's up to ME to put a stop to it when I didn't want the fool to start playing with my dog in the first place because I know that I'm the one who will have to stop him. I can't make Payton respect a person...they have to do that themselves. If you tell Payton to sit, he will. Then you can pet him. But if you let him jump on you...you do so at your own peril. I've tried to talk many a person out of that but I guess it's fun for a few minutes so they never listen.) If the person stays on the doorstep...Payton wants at him. He can be one intimidating dog. That's what I've been told numerous times anyway. He doesn't scare me and besides, I really don't know what he'd do if someone came in that I didn't let in...no one's been stupid enough to test him.

I can leave him in my car with the windows open and while I leisurely grocery shop. I tell him to stay and he stays. I test him at home...I say "Stay!" and then I leave the room. I can stay gone for a LONG time and that dog just sits there. He's a lot like Rick in that area...he can sit, staring into space, for hours on end and not mind one bit. I take him shopping all the time and unless it's raining, those windows are open enough for him to jump out of and I don't bother locking the car. I know it's safe. I've spent a couple hours in the store without Payton leaving the car.

When I'm in the store I always hear, "Did you see that dog sitting in the drver's seat of that SUV? He looks like he wants to drive!" No...he doesn't want to drive. He's just sitting in my seat so he doesn't miss me when I come out. I AM his motivation in life. Everything he does, he does in service to me. I LOVE that dog!

And he's quite an obedient dog...especially since I came home. I don't even have to give him the hand signal or say "Sit!"...if I stand still and look down at him...he automatically sits. I guess he wants to be a really, really good dog so that I don't leave again. There's always a chance that I will leave...I have a few trips in the queue but with one big difference...this time I'm taking my dog with me. When he started barking at strange men, he earned his way out of the crate. He still does it enough to earn his way into my travels.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lara Croft said...

He's a lot like Rick in that area...he can sit, staring into space, for hours on end and not mind one bit.

that comment cracked me Up :-)

April 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home