.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Saturday, April 05, 2008

I finally had some fun today...

...and it's been a rather long time for that. I met a blog buddy that I saw the last time I was here. We had a great time and since it's been so long since I've had anyone to talk to that could A: Talk back to me. or B: Follow the conversation., that I think I may have talked her ear off. But it was fun and she did hang out for a while before she brought me back here.

We walked around Tarpon Springs, a really quaint old Florida town where a lot of Greek people settled when they found work in the sponge industry. I wish I would have though of that. It would be easy to just swim around grabbing sponge. I'm sure it has it's pitfalls but it seems like a pretty cool job to me. We went to a Greek restaurant and ate octopus...two kinds...and calamari. I also ate other Greek things that I couldn't pronounce much less spell so I'll leave it to your imagination...it was ALL Greek to me. Fried cheese is wonderful...I'll have to check at the Marietta Diner to see if they have that stuff. The menu is about 30 pages long and it seems to have everything I can ever think of.

I must admit, however, that I wouldn't ordinarily think of octopus...but I love the fact that I can no longer say, "I've never eaten octopus." I used to say that all the time. Now I can never say it again. I've not only eaten octopus...I ate PICKLED octopus. I actually liked that better than the cooked octopus because the pickled octopus was easier to chew. I chewed like a son-of-a-bitch but I couldn't get at that sucker. I finally just swallowed it whole with a lot of iced tea.

They put the cheese on fire at the table and we were supposed to say "Oopa!" but I wasn't sure if he said "Oopa" or "Oompa". So, I just didn't say a word and then I heard the guy say it over and over again. He was a real Greek dude. There was a nicer looking Greek dude at the check out counter...but this one was certainly the most colorful one in the family. That was so cool. The restaurant was called Hellas...I'm pretty sure...and it was right there in Tarpon Springs. Like the Marietta Diner, they have a large menu and a LOT of people. And the sea was right there, you could see the fishing boats coming in to cut up fish. I didn't get to see them actually do that but I did see a bunch of hungry pelicans waiting for them to clean the fish.

We also walked around a little mall type place that had an old-fashioned candy store. I recognized so many different "old fashioned candies" that I must be either old, old fashioned or both. I bought one kind...the old candy cigarettes. I haven't seen those suckers in years. I guess the only place to get them is a store like that. That's usually where I got all day suckers as a kid. A lot of grandparents go to stores like that and buy those giant lollipops. Then, the next time they see the kids...they have those big suckers that, as my friend said today...end up stuck to the carpet or the back of the couch before any kid actually finishes them. That's a shame too, it's very misleading to a kid. Most of them would take an all day sucker over a huge bag of Tootsie Pops and that's just stupid. I don't ever remember finishing an all day sucker but I could make a bag of Tootsie Pops last at least two days even if I share them.

My friend mentioned something that I hadn't thought of when I was walking along the canal totally unconcerned about falling in because, "I can swim." Well, I probably can't out swim an alligator and that option never occurred to me. How stupid is that? I know about alligators...I know a LOT about them. I know enough to know that they live in FLORIDA!!! What a nit wit...it never occurred to me that there might be an alligator in the water in FLORIDA!!! Oh well, luckily I never fell in.

After dinner, we drove over to Honeymoon Island and walked by the water. The wind was whipping up so badly that there were actually waves in the gulf. The gulf rarely has waves over a foot high and today there was a guy surfing out there. He did fall in quite a bit...but those waves weren't those Jersey Shore waves that can rip off your bikini top and scrape the hell out of your back...but falling down never looks too graceful...even if it's in shallow, relatively calm water. Actually, you look dumber then because there really wasn't anything to knock you down.

Oh, there was a wedding going on too. Because of the time we were there, I would guess it was going to be a sundown wedding. That's such a pretty place that people from all over would honeymoon there. Of course, there were also signs that said "Beware of rattlesnakes" so what can you do?

Ah...5 weeks in Florida and this is the first fun touristy thing that I've done. And just in time...I'm going to go home if ever I find my debit card.

Ooh! The song Kokomo is on...should I go? I'm halfway there...damn...it sounds like a good idea. Anybody around Tampa want to go to Kokomo?

By the way...thanks again to my friend who took me out to Tarpon Springs and Honeymoon Island. I can't wait until that shuttle takes off!

5 Comments:

Blogger mylifeatfullspeed said...

Hey there!

I had a blast today!!! And that damned storm came on shore just as I got to my house so I was driving through waves of water (or so it seemed), the last mile. My lanai was flooded and my bedroom was full of water because the windows didn't get closed fast enough. Then it just stopped and that was that. Amazing.

Just so you know we had:

Broiled Octopus
Cold boiled shrimp
pickled? octopus (not real sure that was how they made it, I'll ask tomorrow)
Fried Calamari
Saganaki (fried flaming cheese)
Horiatiki salad
Tzatziki
Skordalia
Taramasalata

Next time we need to hit the bakery first! LOL I was too full for desert.

I just emailed you details on the launch, it's scheduled (right now) for May 31. I hope things are much more under control in the next few weeks and I can afford to go. Tickets go on sale tomorrow so I'm gonna call and see how long it usually takes to sell out (if they do).

Ok, I'm worn out...gotta sleep.

Thanks again, I had a great time!

:)

April 05, 2008  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Thank YOU girl!

If you hadn't rescued me, I may have flipped out by now...seriously...who knows WHAT could have happened?!

I so enjoyed EVERYTHING we did. You chose the types of things that I would love to do wherever I was visiting...the neat stuff that few get to see because they're all in a town like Orlando.

My daughter and I went to Jeckyl Island on the South Georgia Coast. We stayed at a bed and breakfast in a residential area and in the morning, before we went to the beach we rented these long bicycles that you peddle through the beautiful streets. Yesterday reminded me of that.

We saw "Old Florida" and that was so cool. When I see stuff like that it makes me wonder how many small towns there are out there that I could visit and enjoy just as much as I enjoyed tarpon Springs. They're EVERYWHERE...you just don't hear of them.

And the food...I want to try everything in the world...except maybe live chimpanzee brains, bugs or gonads of any sort. So...in honor of my ex Italian uncle-in-law...I shall renew my quest to 'try it, otherwise...how do I know if I like it or not?'

:):):)

April 06, 2008  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Oh! The launch...for some reason I had it in my mind that you meant NEXT year...this is so cool, I can get excited about next MONTH!!!!


KEEEEWWWLLL!

I'm going to see the space shuttle lift off! YEEEEEEE-HAAAAAAAA!

April 06, 2008  
Blogger Lara Croft said...

I quite like greek food and oooooo ya had a fine meal there!
Now Meg we want pictures of the shuttle blasting off , since Its highly unlikely dear old south australia is going to have one of their own Id love to see a good old usa one taking off :-)

April 07, 2008  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Absolutely!

I love having something to plan for and a space shuttle launch is just the thing!

:)

April 07, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home