.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Sunday, August 07, 2005

I’m home.

I had the absolute worst flying experience of my life and I will NEVER fly Delta again. The least offensive thing that they did today was delay my first flight. When I got to the airport in Tampa, I learned that my flight was delayed. I can handle that, flights are delayed everyday. I didn’t really mind that they didn’t check my ID, I am not a terrorist. But when the flight left 20 minutes before the new departure time, I began to get a tad annoyed. Even that could have been assuaged by employees with a pleasant attitude. They opened the door for a group of Delta employees who DID get seats on this plane, but not for any of the many folks who missed it. They said that they left early because everyone was checked in. The line for a new flight was full of people who also missed the plane. At least 50 people missed the flight that left early. The rudeness of the people at the check in counter was rivaled by the likes of Caligula and Saddam Hussein. Their supervisor was just as rude and then the fun began.

The second flight also left early and I was very lucky to run up as they were closing the doors to the plane. I sat down in my seat, in row 43...the very last row on the crowded 767. There was a drunk in front of me who was annoying everyone in the rear of the plane. When I told the flight attendant (who is apparently too “professional” to be called a stewardess), she was not at all concerned. When other passengers began arguing with the drunk, she finally decided that she should probably say something. She told the drunk that the captain wouldn’t leave until he shut up. She never spoke to the captain, she just said that she did. Eventually, he passed out on the poor guy next to him and snored all the way to Atlanta while, at the same time, he stunk up the entire rear of the cabin with his body odor, flatulence and liquor breathe. We circled around Atlanta for a half an hour and the captain never told us why, he just let us all wonder what the heck was taking so long.

Then, upon arrival home, I was unpacking a tote that my father let me use. It used to belong to his ex-wife and she left 3 lighters and a pair of sewing shears in it. I had no idea that I was carrying so much contraband and the security nut lady was more interested in making me put my bottle of iced tea in the trash and purposely holding me up (she was annoyed that I couldn’t find her trash can and I said that I was in a hurry to catch my flight) as she checked my ID and made sure that everything on the ticket was spelled properly. Her childish behavior and desire to make me late in return for carrying a bottle of tea was more important to this nit wit than the security of any airliner, any other passenger or anybody on the ground. She was so preoccupied with acting like a willful twit that she let me go through the security check point with at least 4 items of banned contraband. The shears alone had two 8 inch steel blades that were sharp enough to impale a person through the chest. So, if you are flying to or from Tampa, look around, the security people there are about as astute as a bunch of 13 year old boys in gym class. And, if you are flying Delta, I hope that you get a huge discount. Their rudeness alone is worth about 50% off the price of any other airline ticket.

While I was waiting for my flight, I became very hungry so I went to TGIFridays. I think Delta runs that too. I ordered a chicken dinner at twice what you would pay in any decent restaurant. It was supposed to come with a side of mixed veggies but it came with raw broccoli. I like broccoli but I prefer it cooked. The stuff they gave me was so raw that I couldn’t cut it with the fork, I had to saw it with the steak knife. The chicken was tough and the veggies cold, but the waitress was a bitch. Well, not so much a bitch as she was a moron. When I told her that the veggies were cold, she said, “They shouldn’t be.” Then she walked away. Well, I knew that they SHOULDN’T BE raw. I didn’t order any raw food. I was in too much of a hurry to worry much so I ate the mashed potatoes and ran for my plane.

When I got on the plane, I started reading a book. The nice lady next to me started a conversation (after the drunk passed out) and we chatted the entire way back to Atlanta. That made the flight go by pretty quickly and except for taking a half an hour to get out of the damn jet from my seat all the way in the rear, the rest of the evening was fine. Of course, I could have driven home in the time that I spent at the airport, but then I would have been able to listen to whatever music I wanted to hear and stop to stretch my legs whenever I felt like it. Ah...air travel.

So...here I am, at home, back at my little computer. Coming home is always a treat. I can use the AC whenever I want to. Seinfeld is right, old people do like to move to Florida and pretend that it’s not as hot as hell. I slept on my father’s couch as I have gotten into the habit of couch sleeping. The problem is, my father has a leather couch and when he turned the AC off, I would sweat like a pig. I woke up every morning drowning in a pool of sweat. If he had a scale, I would have been curious to weigh myself at night and then again in the morning. I’m quite sure that I lost 5 pounds of water every night. Saturday night he fell asleep rather early and I was bored so I just started cleaning his condo. I cleaned his stove top, the part with the knobs and all. I scoured the sink, washed his drain board and polished all of the wood and tables in the living room. Then, I decided to clean the bathroom that I had used while I was there. It’s a good thing that I did because when I cleared off his vanity to scour that sink and clean all around it, I found my glasses under a plastic box that should have been placed over a box of Kleenex. I don’t know how in the heck they got under that thing, there is no Kleenex and there wasn’t the entire time that I was there. See, good things happen when you do nice things.

So, now that I am home and I’ve bitched to you about my trip back, I am ready to go to bed. So...I will see you tomorrow, I am exhausted now.

See ya!

Meg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home